Bignay is a nourishing and fresh fruit which are found abundantly in Southeast Asian nations. It is popular for its health benefits. Fruits are small in size, brown and smooth. Antidesma bunius is the scientific name of bignay fruit. Bignay fruit is also known from these names such Chinese Laurel, Black Currant Tree, Currant Tree, Currentwood, Salamander Tree, Nigger’s Cord, Wild Cherry, Bugnay or Bignai, Herbert River-cherry, Queensland-cherry and Salamander-tree.
It is able to grow 15 to 30 meters high having trunk diameter of 20 to 85 cm. Leaves are leathery, evergreen, oval shaped and it about 20 cm long and 7 cm wide. This species is dioecious which means male and female flowers grow on separate trees. Flowers possess strong and unpleasant scent. Pistillate flowers grow on long racemes and staminate flowers are found in small bunches. Fruit are globose or avoid which is 5 to 11 mm by 4 to 7 mm in size hanging singly or paired in long and heavy bunches. Fruits are green at first which turns to yellow to pink to red and bluish to violet when fully matured. The fruit skin has red juice and white pulp has colorless juice. Each fruit contains straw colored seed which is oval, compressed measuring 6 to 8 mm by 4.5 to 5.5 mm. When the fruit is immature, it has sour taste and becomes sweet when ripe.
■ HEALTH BENEFITS OF BUNIE/BIGNAY FRUIT
● Bignay fruit contains provitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin B1, iron, minerals, fiber, potassium and phosphorus.
● This small and round fruit is well known for its health benefits. As it is gooseberry sized with reddish hued, it is also called Queensland cherry. Leaves as well as its fruits possess numerous health benefits.
● The tea prepared from bark is useful for weight loss. Intake of liter of Bignay tea provides health benefits such as healthier heart, weight loss and lower cholesterol levels.
■ HEALTH BENEFITS WHICH ARE PROVIDED WITH THE CONSUMPTION OF BIGNAY FRUIT.
● Antioxidant Activity
~ This fruit have natural antioxidant activity due to the presence of catechins which counteracts free radicals found in the body. Enormous presence of free radicals causes premature onset of wrinkles, cancer and fine lines.
~ Tne deficiency of antioxidants leads to these conditions. An intake of Bignay in form of tea or whole fruit helps to prevent these conditions.
● Colon Health
~ Tea made from bignay acts as a natural colon cleanser. This tea help to eradicate unwanted toxins from the body. It has natural detoxifying properties which assist to lose weight and supports to look young.
~ It helps to promote digestion and is also beneficial for colon health. It eliminates toxins and detoxifies body from unwanted substances. Consuming Bignay tea daily promotes colon functions and prevents abnormal colon muscle contraction that results in bloating and abnormal cramps.
● Weight loss
~ Consumption of this fruit helps to maintain fitness level with consumption of low fat. It could be mixed with condiment or make as tea. Consume the tea made from this fruit to promote digestion and regulate waist diameter. It possesses cholesterol lowering qualities and hunger deterring qualities.
● Urinary Tract Problems
~ Bignay is helpful for treating urinary tract infections. It helps to heal infections which could damage urinary tract health. Bignays helps to make stronger and muscular person. It eliminates all infections which pertains tummy or ingestion system and makes it healthy. The daily consumption of Bignay helps to prevent fatal and harmful illness.
● Treatment for Snake Bites
~ In Asian countries, Bignay have been used for treating poison of snakebites. It is a cure for snake venom and used as an effective medication for bites of snakes. Consume Bignay to have strength for performing as a proven antidote. It has been used in some parts of Asia for treating this serious problem.
● Regulation of Blood Pressure
~ Research have shown that this fruit possess blood pressure lowering qualities. It is very helpful for the people with high hypertension. The patients suffering from these problems should consume tea prepared from bignay fout times in a day.
~ It helps to lower blood pressure and avoid various health ailments related to it. It also enhances immune system and cardiovascular muscles.
● Liver Health – Bignay is directly associated for promoting overall health. Liver is one of the most imperative parts of the body that needs rigth considerations as well as treatment . Bignay tea supports to lower levels of SGPT and SGOT by guarding and reinvigorating liver health. Consume this tea four times in a day which helps to prevent liver from diseases.
● Gastrointestinal Health – It promotes metabolism and aasimilation and also promotes treats gastrointestinal ailments. It is effective as it provides an advantageous effect. It is loaded with vitamins which reinvigorates and makes you fresh and if you are trying to shade some weight then mix it with organic substances to the diet. Bignay helps to support the digestion level that helps to lower infections. Moreover, this fruit promotes immune health.
● Cardiovascular Health
~ Bignay is loaded with flavonoids which are beneficial for heart muscles. It possesses anti-carcinogenic and anti-aging qualities. Bignay iliminates free radicals and promotes the activities of cardiovascular system and safeguards heart. It also lowers the level of bad cholesterol and promotes absorption of good cholesterol.
● Eye Health – the presence of Vitamin A in Bignay fruit helps to maintain the health of eye and also prevents the premature myopic eyes.
● Treating Syphilis –The people believe that the use of Bignay fruit helps to treat the disease Syphilis though the research is still needed. The studies which are conducted by biologists and doctors discover that the brewing of this leaves helps to cure syphilis.
~ This condition is a type of STD or Sexually Transmitted Disease. Studies show that the plant’s leaves have a potential in treating syphilis.
● Prevent Cancer – bignay fruit possess the antioxidants which help to prevent the cancer as well as premature aging. It counteracts the free radicals and its effects and also lowers the development of cancer cells.
● Skin Rejuvenation – the vitamin E and Vitamin C helps to nourish the skin, inproves the degeneration process, eliminate the dead skin cells and also rejuvenate the skin. It provides the white, smoother, glowing and toned skin.
● Treating Ulcers and Itching – the presence of anti-inflammatory properties helps to treat the skin diseases such as boils, mosquito bites, allergies and acne. The fruit paste, leaf and crushed should be applied to the wound.
● Cure for Diabetes – it also cures the diabetes effectively. The health problems such as gastric issues, dysentery and indigestion are also cured by this fruits.